Just a running list of simple concepts that Microsoft had nailed years ago, but Apple still FAILS to get.
- Close Window (CMD-W) and Quit Application (CMD-Q) keys are adjacent. How many times have I mis-typed and lost all my windows in TextMate? Thank god Chrome finally implemented a feature to avoid this problem.
- Can only resize a window from a single corner. Did the other 3 sides cost too much to implement?
- Apple hates the keyboard - inconsistent short-cut keys and menu navigation.
- the “Green circle of confusion”. I want to maximize or unmaximize a window. When I click that green circle, it seems that someone is rolling the dice to decide what should happen. This seems to have gotten better with Snow Leopard, but still…
- Going from Tiger to Leopard was ok, but Leopard to Snow Leopard? What’s next? Striped Snow Leopard? (Update: ok, they release Lion. Next one better not be Snow Lion, or Desert Lion)
- Snappy. I still think my old Windows XP systems had a more “snappy” / “quick” feel to the windowing environment, e.g. opening, closing, moving windows, etc.